A Case study: Government spending in the UK
The following diagram shows the extent of government spending in the UK, and identifies spending by individual government departments.
The following website provides a great deal on information about UK government spending. Specifically it enables you to see information about:
- types of spending
- spending by region
- central and local government spending
- how government spending changes over time
- the proportion of overall GDP spent by the UK government
- Identify the five main areas of government spending in the UK.
- Describe how the proportion of government spending on these five areas changed over the last 5 years.
- Plot the proportion of GDP spent by the government over the last 10 years and describe the results you have found.
- Use the web to find out the above data for your own country.