Dumping shoes on the EU
Read the article EU adopts shoe dumping penalties and then answer the questions below. You can either read the article in the window below or you can follow the previous link to read the article in a separate window.
Explain what is meant by 'free trade'.
Explain what is meant by the term 'dumping'.
Examine the reasons why the EU decided to impose duties on shoes imported from China and Vietnam.
Analyse the advantages and disadvantges of increased free trade.
There are a number of excellent resources available, which provide more information on free trade issues. For example, read the following articles from the BBC website:
- The argument for free trade
- A century of free trade - an excellent summary of the changes that have taken place in World Trade in the last 100 years.
- Debate - globalisation - good or bad - looking at the wider area of globalisation and the impact this has had on the world.
There are numerous non-government organisations (NGOs), such as charities and lobby groups, which campaign on the issue of free and fair trade. Have a look at the following:
- The rigged rules of global trade http://www.oxfam.org/en/campaigns/trade/rigged_rules
- FREE TRADE OR PROTECTIONISM http://www.isil.org/resources/lit/free-trade-protectionism.html (Beware ISIL = International Society for Individual Liberty "The world's premier freedom networking organization")