Case study (2) Focus on Privatisation
Africa Reaping Dividends from Privatization
Follow the link below if you would prefer to read the article in a new web window:
In addition to opening up the economy to foreign direct investment many African countries have undertaken a wide programme of privatization.
- Explain what is meant by privatization.
- Is a policy of privatization more likely to be associated with a market oriented or interventionist strategy? Explain your answer.
- Identify the potential benefits to the country that the article suggests occur when privatization takes place.
- Examine whether privatization has been successful in the cases highlighted in the articles.
- Analyse the potential hazards from a programme of privatization in developing countries.