Price volatility case study - tomatoes
The video clip below highlights the problems experienced by tomato farmers in Ghana from changes in tomato prices
Complete the following exercises while you are watching the video:
- Describe what has happened to the price of tomatoes over recent years.
- Explain the effects of rising tomato prices.
- Describe the impact of the subsequent fall in prices on tomato producers and on peoples' lives.
- Identify the farmers' solutions to the falling tomato prices.
- Using your knowledge of price stabilization schemes from section 1.3 explain how the price of tomatoes can be stabilised.